Bag Central Station (BCS) is a campaign launched by the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance to address the issue of recycling plastic bags. This proactive program continues to provide consumers with a choice when they shop at their local grocery store (paper, plastic, or reusable bags) while minimizing the environmental impact of plastic bags.
How does this service help you?
• Facilitates consumer choices (plastic, paper, reusable)
• Reduces waste
• Reduces environmental contamination
Which types of bags are recyclable?
• Grocery bags
• Dry cleaning bags
• Bread bags
• Department store bags
• Shrink wrap
Each partner city has specific guidelines and restrictions. To find out more, click the city's name to visit their recycling information center!
FACTS ABOUT RECYCLING BAGS
The harm of incorrectly disposing plastic bags
• It takes months to hundreds of years for plastic bags to breakdown in landfills.
• Plastic bags eventually break down through a process called photodegradation, which releases harmful toxins into the soil.
• When mixed with curbside recyclables such as bottles and cans, plastic bags can cause severe complications and damage processing machines at recycling facilities.
What about paper bags?
• It is a common misconception that paper bags are friendlier to the environment than plastic bags.
• The production of paper bags emits 70 percent more pollution than the production of plastic bags.
• It takes 91 percent more energy to recycle a pound of paper than a pound of plastic.
• The EPA has recently stated that paper does not degrade much faster in landfills than plastic.
How Bag Central Station Helps Consumers
• Plastic bag bans do not solve the problem as most consumers will instead use paper bags.
• The solution is to provide consumers with a choice and the ability to correctly recycle plastic bags.
• Bag Central Station provides consumers with a place where they can leave their bags.
• Recycled plastic bags are turned into new bags, composite lumber, and other useful items.
Composite lumber material.
FIND A DROP-OFF LOCATION
Visit PlasticFilmRecycling.org to locate your nearest recycling location and for more information on what can be recycled.
Students at St. Gregory's Elementary win $1,000 in grocery gift cards.
Source: Arizona Food Industry Journal, June 2013